Offener Brief an die Regierungschefs der EU, 16.7.2020 (engl. Originalfassung)
You must stop pretending that we can solve the climate- and ecological crisis without treating it as a crisis
Here are our demands of this open letter:
These are some first steps, essential to our chance of avoiding a climate- and ecological disaster.
- Effective immediately, halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels.
- EU member states must advocate to make ecocide an international crime at the International Criminal Court.
- Include total emissions in all figures and targets, including consumption index, international aviation and shipping.
- Starting today – establish annual, binding carbon budgets based on the current best available science and the IPCC’s budget which gives us a 66% chance of limiting the global temperature rise to below 1.5 °C. They need to include the global aspect of equity, tipping points and feedback loops and shouldn’t depend on assumptions of possible future negative emissions technologies.
- Safeguard and protect democracy.
- Design climate policies that protect workers and the most vulnerable and reduce all forms of inequality: economic, racial and gender.
- Treat the climate- and ecological emergency like an emergency.
We understand and know very well that the world is complicated and that what we are asking for may not be easy. The changes necessary to safeguard humanity may seem very unrealistic. But it is much more unrealistic to believe that our society would be able to survive the global heating we’re heading for, as well as other disastrous ecological consequences of today’s business as usual.
Den vollständigen Brief finden Sie hier.